79 pinto steering column
Date: 08/18/2018 02:00 pm
pinto for sale
Date: 09/11/2016 09:47 pm
2.3 engine and other parts- Free
Date: 12/13/2016 10:25 am
1970-1973 Gas Tank/Blue Dash
Date: 02/07/2019 11:57 pm
Center armrest for 1979 pinto . Possible anyone who makes them of has one for sale
Date: 08/13/2017 02:01 pm
76 pinto sedan sbc/bbc project for sale $1700 obo

Date: 03/27/2017 10:07 pm

Author Topic: Hello fellow keepers of the flame-A long one from the new guy-71HANTO  (Read 59433 times)

Offline Pintosopher

• 33yrs SCCA, 19yrs Egroups/PCCA ,40yrs enlightenment
  • PCCA Charter Member
  • Pinto Master
  • Essses my Nirvana , Liberty to play, my mission

• Total Badges: 9
    Badges: (View All)
    Mobile User Topic Starter Signature Poll Voter 1000 Posts Windows User Tenth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary Photographer
Re: Hello fellow keepers of the flame-A long one from the new guy-71HANTO
« Reply #90 on: March 16, 2009, 07:55:53 PM »
71 Hanto,
 Many tanks for the Info ;D I would hope the filler tube length won't be a issue,If it will flow fast enough. Of course, a double drybreak aimed at the Hatch glass ( ala Roush Trans Am mustang) would be Sooo Cool 8) Probably not a good option for future Vintage endeavours (B-sedan, 2.5 etc)

Yours is soo right there..

Pintosopher
Yes, it is possible to study and become a master of Pintosophy.. Not a religion , nothing less than a life quest for non conformity and rational thought. What Horse did you ride in on?

Check my Pinto Poems out...

Offline 71HANTO

• Pinto Sr. Member
    • Older site

• Total Badges: 6
    Topic Starter Signature Poll Voter Windows User Webmaster Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #91 on: March 17, 2009, 10:10:18 PM »
Pintosopher,

Thanks for the proverbial thumbs up ;D I may have a solution for your long running pipe issue but it will take some sheet metal welding and bodywork. ATL will build a fuel cell neck that goes out in any direction you want. Why not ADD a standard Pinto gas filler assembly from a drivers side of a donor Pinto to the passenger side where the fuel cell is? I bet most pinto owners would not even notice there was one on the wrong side :lost: You would have the option of placing it higher up on the back pillar for a straighter shot with better fill velocity into the cell ;D

71HANTO
"Life is a series of close ones...'til the last one"...cfpjr

Offline dick1172762

• Vintage Pinto Racer
  • PCCA Management Board
  • Pinto Sr. Master
  • I'm a llama!

• Total Badges: 7
    Topic Starter Signature Poll Voter Windows User 1000 Posts Tenth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #92 on: March 18, 2009, 12:03:19 AM »
Unless you have a NASCAR cage in your Pinto, the long filler neck would be the first thing to go if you got rear ended. Many of the early Trans-Am car had the filler cap (before dry breaks) come out in the center of the deck lid or in the center in place of the trunk lock.
Its better to be a has-been, than a never was.

Offline Bipper

• Pinto Full Member
  • Propane Power

• Total Badges: 7
    Topic Starter Signature Poll Voter Tenth year Anniversary Apple User Windows User Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #93 on: March 21, 2009, 10:54:56 AM »
Nothing humiliates them more than blowing their doors off with an empty kiddie seat visible in the back seat. The only clue that they were about to be had was the XDIESEL license plate.

Great sleeper. Love the trailer ball on the back. By the looks of the wheels and tires I bet this car went around corners pretty well also.
71 Sedan, stock
72 Pangra
73 Runabout, 2L turbo propane

Offline 71HANTO

• Pinto Sr. Member
    • Older site

Topic Starter Signature Poll Voter Windows User Webmaster Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #94 on: March 22, 2009, 09:16:07 AM »
Great sleeper. Love the trailer ball on the back. By the looks of the wheels and tires I bet this car went around corners pretty well also.

Thanks, the car was too heavy to be a real canyon carver with power EVERYTHING. The trailer hitch was used to pull the same boat as my wife's 80 Pinto wagon (pics near the start of this thread). I put a large anti-sway bar in the front and used my favorite cheap handling trick....using spring clamps to lower the front and raise the back. It stiffens the springs either way. About $25 did all four ;D

I cloned the car into an extremely rare PERFORMANCE  version of the 79 Cutless called the W-30. No one bought it when it came out and no one remembers it now. People back then thought of Oldsmobile as your "DAD"s, or more likely your "GRANDFATHER's" choice...ZERO performance image :amazed:  I have a habit of cloning cars now that I think about it....I just can't leave things alone :evil:  My 351W 69 convertible Mustang is a GT clone. My daily driver is a 2000 GT Mustang convertible Cobra clone (the Misses rapidly and unexpectedly modified the original bumpers :accident:) The Cobra bumpers came up on e-bay before the original GTs so I bought 'em. The Cougar XR-7 that I sold (Fastbak390's high school ride) was an Eliminator clone. One of the cars I sold (owned it for 10 years) that didn't need to be cloned...the real deal...was a 1970 Mustang convertible 428 R-Code. They made a total of 47 convertible 428s in 1970, both Q and R codes , 5 being special prep'd Pace Cars. The 1970 Shelby's were just re-badged 69s with the stipes added, they were all leftover 69s (335 total). Just to make it MORE unusual was the fact that it was painted by the factory Lincoln Mark III blue. 1 of 1 but, a terrible, dangerous, unbalanced piece of S*&! that should not have been released to the public. The engine torque twisted the convertible unibody and it was SO  unbalanced, it was like driving on ice even when the road was just DAMP :accident:

My Pinto is my  interpretation of the 1974 Lotus powered Hanto Pinto. The reason I cloned the HANTO Pinto is so I can legally go vintage racing with a Lotus twin cam engine and 5-speed. The original Hanto was blue with a white stripe. Mine will stay the almost  British Racing Green (original color of my car) with silver numbers. I'm also thinking about maybe doing numbers in airbrushed flames like below but with burning Pintos instead of Demons (sorry Dodge :devil:)....IF  race legal to do it ???....no plans for any stripes. We'll see....;D

I thought I was getting Deja Vu all over again ??? when I found my Pinto wheels in the junk yard....NOW I remember why....I had similar ones on the Oldsmobile.... almost 30 years ago ;D

Offline 71HANTO

• Pinto Sr. Member
    • Older site

« Reply #95 on: March 26, 2009, 11:15:37 PM »

Found this YouTube video that gave me a little taste of what I may  be in for ;D...TURN THE SOUND UP...and enjoy a little different view of a Pinto road racing
;D  :2fast4u:

Offline discolives78

• Pinto Master
  • It's ok to think small sometimes.

• Total Badges: 5
    Topic Starter Signature Poll Voter Fifth year Anniversary Photographer
« Reply #96 on: March 26, 2009, 11:23:12 PM »
Very nice! Nothing like making sure the Lancer stays behind you! :surprised:

Chuck

A virtual version of my last Pinto. Was Registered Ride #111. Missed every day.

Offline 71HANTO

• Pinto Sr. Member
    • Older site

« Reply #97 on: April 02, 2009, 12:22:41 AM »
OK..I guess this Pinto is not going to make ANYTHING easy on me :hypno: PROBLEM...RACI NG WHEEL STUDS for a 71 Disc Brake Pinto-NOT AVAILABLE >:( So I must adapt again :lost: The pictures tell the story of how I to put in the adapted studs the old fashioned way...by hand :mad: I used a Ford Cortina wheel as the jig. The English wheels are much more robust and finely made, with better metal than the Pinto wheel, and I MUST have precision for what I am doing with this Pinto. I left in two original studs to use as locators as I tightened the wheel nuts (greased WELL) to draw the racing studs (NO grease) through the holes with the little machined spacers. Taping from behind a few times as I cranked on the wheel nuts to get them to seat properly. 100% success but that was a breaker bar work out :sleep: Those are L O N G  studs a 1/4 turn at a time :drunk:

DONE... ;D ;D ;D

Offline 71HANTO

• Pinto Sr. Member
    • Older site

« Reply #98 on: April 04, 2009, 11:25:08 AM »
I really loved the ones with their girlfriends... . :devil:

I just had to add to this....out of guilt :devil: I had a special race pattern for the ones with their girlfriends sitting next to them....I would sand bag off the line...give'em a couple of car lengths til' I got her looking back with a BIG Grin ;D...then hit the red button on the shifter and fry the meats all the way past'em....thinking back...that was an evil  thing to do to the poor guy hoping to get lucky...sorry man :showback:

Offline 71HANTO

• Pinto Sr. Member
    • Older site

I had to order the EXTRA, EXTRA, EXTRA LARGE size at the pharmacy but it JUST  fit :hypno: The house is getting painted  ;D

Offline volksnut

• Pinto Member

• Total Badges: 3
    Topic Starter Tenth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #100 on: May 03, 2009, 07:26:22 AM »
Nice write up....great car...cool motor

Offline 71HANTO

• Pinto Sr. Member
    • Older site

« Reply #101 on: May 04, 2009, 11:55:08 PM »
Thanks Volksnut,

I've hit more than my share of snags along the way with this project but I am full steam ahead after this weekend (LONG story). Hopefully this period correct repop'd Lotus badge is what the competition sees ahead of them... GOING BYE BYE... :2fast4u:

71HANTO

Offline 71HANTO

• Pinto Sr. Member
    • Older site

« Reply #102 on: May 13, 2009, 11:10:22 PM »
RE-figured...Here are some NEW engineering numbers taking into account more variables missed the first time. This info is from a fellow vintage racer who is an engineer by trade. He helped sort out what the potential differences will be on the track...I LIKE IT!!! Thanks, Roger...:drunk: He figured lbs pressure per inch of travel (the up and down distance of lower A-arm suspension during movement). A one off 1971-72, 1 1/8" Hollow bar is compared to a 7/8" Solid bar both from ADDCO. Bottom line...440lbs for the Hollow 1 1/8" bar and 169lbs for the Solid 7/8" bar. A HUGE difference on paper  :read:. We'll see how this theory works on the track.??? I borrowed this technology from my 2000 Mustang Cobra clone. I put it on and it made a dramatic difference over the stock GT bar just going up from 1" hollow to 1 1/8" hollow. It sold me ;D  The larger hollow Pinto bar weighs only 2 LBS more than the smaller bar at 15 lbs vs. 13 lbs ;D ;D ;D

The two bars end to end...

The Hollow end of the 1 1/8"...

This is the 1977 Ranchero REAR bar I am adapting to the 8 inch Pinto rear (NO gas tank interference). You must have vision to see how this goes on. It clamps onto the rear end housing tubes with U-bolts and regular bushing holders (not shown). The front links will be welded/bolted depending on where/how they land on the uni-body frame.

Offline r4pinto

• Pinto PooBAH
  • All hail Ford Pinto!!!!

Topic Starter Signature Poll Voter Linux User Mobile User Windows User 1000 Posts Tenth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #103 on: May 14, 2009, 12:55:38 AM »
That ain't a bad idea.. Quite the visonarry you are  ;D
Matt Manter
1977 Pinto sedan- Named Harold II after the first Pinto(Harold) owned by my mom. R.I.P mom- 1980 parts provider & money machine for anything that won't fit the 80
1980 Pinto Runabout- work in progress

Offline 71HANTO

• Pinto Sr. Member
    • Older site

« Reply #104 on: May 14, 2009, 01:28:42 AM »
That ain't a bad idea.. Quite the visonarry you are  ;D

Thanks, I'm trying find every tiny advantage I can...gotta' go kick some serious A$$ on the track...:fastcar:

Offline 71HANTO

• Pinto Sr. Member
    • Older site

« Reply #105 on: February 12, 2010, 05:40:45 PM »
71HANTO...upda te. I've been out of the game due to some major life changes (all good) but this last weekend I received tentitive approval by the president of the west coast chapter of Vintage Auto Racing Assoc. (VARA) and the Chief Tech Inspecter to race the 71 Hanto Pinto as a homologated vintage race car. Subject only to my providing proof of the existance of the original 1975 Hanto Pinto (easy to do).  This means I won't be thrown in with the exibition class of misfits. I will be racing with 510s, Lotus Cortinas, 912s, etc. It also means I can race for points instead of being an "also ran". :fastcar:

71HANTO

Offline 71HANTO

• Pinto Sr. Member
    • Older site

« Reply #106 on: May 18, 2011, 11:28:45 PM »
It took me years to find a copy of the original Hanto Pinto article but here it is:

71HANTO

Offline Starliner

• Pinto Sr. Member

• Total Badges: 5
    Topic Starter Signature Tenth year Anniversary Poll Voter Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #107 on: May 21, 2011, 12:03:33 AM »
This is an amazing build.   I have been following it with interest since the beginning.
I hope you have time to get back to it. 
1973 Pinto 1600 - Sold!  
1979 Pinto 2300 - Sold!
1984 Audi 5000 Avant - 60,000 original miles
1987 Audi 5000 S Quattro - The snowmobile
1973 Volvo 1800 ES wagon -  my project car
1976 Mustang II - Wifey's new toy

Offline 71HANTO

• Pinto Sr. Member
    • Older site

« Reply #108 on: May 22, 2011, 03:03:04 PM »
Thanks Starliner,

I have been doing some quiet progress and will have a primered roller for Carlisle. Here are some resent pics of the progress as of last Thursday (getting soda blasted). I will be trailering it complete or not. It will be a roller with motor, trans, plasic windows and fiberglass hood, doors and bumpers. The race tires are on the rims ready to go (Toyo R888's 205 50 15s). The glass trunk lid I got from Canada is trash and unusable (took four months to get and it's junk). So i'm using the original steel one (still pretty light). My son is driving his 71 from Texas and we are meeting up there.  The big push is AFTER this event to get it fully sorted for Trans-Am vintage racing...

71HANTO

Offline 71HANTO

• Pinto Sr. Member
    • Older site

« Reply #109 on: June 16, 2011, 10:27:08 PM »
I ran across this post in a British car forum from 2007...

71HANTO

"I didn't know *where* to put this one since it's a US car with a Brit engine (isn't it usually the opposite is done?)

Anyway, I took this at Lime Rock about 35 years ago. I found it while I was scanning some other old pictures.

The event was one of the early Car & Driver Showroom Stock Sedan events. I know C&D brought their "00" Pinto but I think Bruce Cargill won in an SSS Dodge Colt (I think).

This thing didn't race but was in the pits and attracted mucho attention.
It's not a Pangra but a sort of similar idea with a Jensen/Lotus 907 engine. Name on the side is "Hanto".

Anyone recall these?"

Offline 71HANTO

• Pinto Sr. Member
    • Older site

« Reply #110 on: September 01, 2012, 08:28:44 PM »
WOW it's been a long time since my last update but I finally solved the major last roadblock to my progress. How to make a starter work on my Frankenstein of put togather parts. The problem was using a 3 hole mount bell housing (2.0L) from a 1971 pinto and mating it to a Ford Lotus block (1966) that normally used a 2 hole starter mount. 2 more issues, a smaller Lotus flywheel with different sized teeth. No one on earth makes an adapter (I know I looked for years). It kept me up nights. I finally found a machine shop that would take on the challange. They promised the job in 2.5 weeks but it took 3.5 months and below are the results. Pure art work at $260. Now I have NO excuse not to finish this project  ;D  71HANTO

Original 3 hole Pinto starter with the XLT race starter (1/3 of the weight) and adapter plates 2 hole and new 3 hole.

Comparing the Pinto original and the adapted race starter.

Closeup of the different toothed gears. They look close but no cigar.

Closeup of the Lotus plate and the new plate. Both fully indexable.

This side shows the installed bearing in the new plate taken from the Lotus plate.

Offline bbobcat75

• Pinto Master

Tenth year Anniversary Topic Starter Signature Poll Voter 1000 Posts Apple User Mobile User Windows User Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #111 on: September 01, 2012, 10:07:54 PM »
glad to see that you are still working strong on the project! keep up the good work!

1975 mercury bobcat 2.8 auto
1978 mercury bobcat wagon 2.3l - soon to have a 88 tc drive line - SOLD - 🙁
1975 ford pinto - drag car - 2.3l w/t5 trans - project car

Offline skrach

• PCCA VIP
  • Pinto Sr. Member
  • 1971 Pinto Owner
    • Mike Streets Boss pinto

Topic Starter Signature Poll Voter Webmaster Tenth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #112 on: September 05, 2012, 09:17:37 AM »
I have the original tri-fold brochure for the hanto pinto. I will find it and scan it. I have a few I think. If I have more than one I will gladly send you one.

thanks,
Douglas Johnson
"Skrach"
www.VividlyVintage.com
1971 Ford Pinto Sedan. Original CA Car. Root Beer Brown. but wont be that color for long. Tired of the poop brown reputation. haha

Offline 71HANTO

• Pinto Sr. Member
    • Older site

« Reply #113 on: September 05, 2012, 07:14:29 PM »
I have the original tri-fold brochure for the hanto pinto. I will find it and scan it. I have a few I think. If I have more than one I will gladly send you one.

Douglas, PM Sent

71HANTO

Offline 71HANTO

• Pinto Sr. Member
    • Older site

« Reply #114 on: September 08, 2012, 09:56:41 PM »
I was able to test fit the adapted starter by removing the transmission from the bell housing and rebolting the bell back on to the block. I put a hose clamp on the starter behind the gear so when I mounted it to the bell it would be fully extended to test the meshing of the starter gear to the flywheel. It's dead on. It is hard to see from this picture angle (taken through the bell opening) but there is about 1/16th of an inch of space before the gear bottoms out into the flywheel gear. Not bad for handing the Machinest an extra lotus flywheel, the starter and a sandwich plate from a 2.0L (no bell, no block). ;)

71HANTO

Offline raynmaker

• Pinto Driver
  • Another Pinto Driver

• Total Badges: 1
    Topic Starter
« Reply #115 on: April 17, 2013, 09:47:58 AM »
Any updates?  Quite an amazing car would love to see video of the race.

Offline 71HANTO

• Pinto Sr. Member
    • Older site

« Reply #116 on: November 17, 2013, 10:20:29 AM »
It's been a while since I posted progress. I have been splitting my free time between the Lotus Pinto and my street Pinto. I have been massively reworking the glass doors, hood, and trunk taking out the waviness, dips, bumps, and adding glass to get the gaps closer to factory on the Lotus Pinto. It has been way more time consuming than I thought it would be. OCD can be fun  ;) . I'll post pictures once it's back in primer. I changed the front disc spindles to 73s to get to use the larger beefier tie rod ends. I then had a custom bump steer kit machined so I could still use the 71-72 Wilwood rack.

71HANTO

I have also added a section to the rear spoiler I got from MAP351. I wanted it line up with the edge of the glass trunk lid. I have not done glass work since my surfboard days but I think it turned out pretty good. :)

Offline bbobcat75

• Pinto Master

Tenth year Anniversary Topic Starter Signature Poll Voter 1000 Posts Apple User Mobile User Windows User Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #117 on: November 17, 2013, 10:31:34 AM »
Can't wait to see the pictures!!!
1975 mercury bobcat 2.8 auto
1978 mercury bobcat wagon 2.3l - soon to have a 88 tc drive line - SOLD - 🙁
1975 ford pinto - drag car - 2.3l w/t5 trans - project car

Offline Srt

• Original Pangra Master Builder
  • PCCA VIP
  • Pinto Master

• Total Badges: 10
    Topic Starter Signature Tenth year Anniversary Poll Voter Linux User Mobile User Windows User 1000 Posts Fifth year Anniversary Photographer
« Reply #118 on: November 18, 2013, 03:42:23 AM »
from a really old post.....

".....I cloned the car into an extremely rare PERFORMANCE version of the 79 Cutlass called the W-30. No one bought it when it came out and no one remembers it now...."

I remember those cars! Funny, I don't FEEL that old (most days!)
the only substitute for cubic inches is BOOST!!!

Offline 71HANTO

• Pinto Sr. Member
    • Older site

« Reply #119 on: November 18, 2013, 07:49:05 PM »
from a really old post.....

".....I cloned the car into an extremely rare PERFORMANCE version of the 79 Cutlass called the W-30. No one bought it when it came out and no one remembers it now...."

I remember those cars! Funny, I don't FEEL that old (most days!)

I don't feel old myself until I look in the mirror...