Current Classifieds

Drivers side door panel Orange
Date: 05/22/2018 01:54 pm
Need 76' coupe rear Glass and Front Grille
Date: 07/20/2017 01:23 am
Looking for a few parts - TIA
Date: 02/19/2023 12:18 pm
76 pinto sedan sbc/bbc project for sale $1700 obo

Date: 10/27/2018 03:30 pm
Pinto Fiber Glass Body Parts
Date: 01/06/2019 06:53 pm
Wagon hatch letters
Date: 12/31/2023 04:24 pm
Wanted - Offenhauser intake for 2.8l (6097DP)
Date: 01/28/2019 05:15 pm
Date: 09/13/2022 02:05 pm
Want seals for Pinto wagon "flip out" windows
Date: 08/08/2017 01:44 pm
71-73 Front Kick Panels
Date: 04/25/2021 07:24 pm
McLeod Clutch

Date: 04/12/2017 12:08 pm
2.3 bellhousing stick
Date: 07/24/2019 06:50 pm

Author Topic: What is it and where did it come from?  (Read 1066 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline slowride

  • Pinto Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 279
  • FeedBack: +18/-0

  • Total Badges: 3
    Badges: (View All)
    Topic Starter Windows User Fifth year Anniversary
What is it and where did it come from?
« on: November 08, 2013, 12:04:27 PM »
I'm re-ringing a low mileage rebuilt 2.3 to have ready when the original gives up the ghost. In tearing it down and inspecting it, I've found a few contradictions . The block was bores 1mm over and the crank turned .5mm on the rods and mains. Where things got strange are looking at the crank and rear main seal. The crank has apparently had the slinger machined off, and the seal is a one piece..... but not a press in like 302. It looks like the 2 piece, but not split and goes around the crank flange before you set the crank back in the block. You bolt the rear main cap down and it compresses it in the block sealing it. Cool design, but I've never seen another like it (sorry, no pic of it). Is this an aftermarket design or from a later/obscure 2.3?

Offline amc49

  • Pinto Master
  • ***
  • Posts: 1256
  • FeedBack: +242/-1
  • Another Pinto Driver

  • Total Badges: 4
    Badges: (View All)
    Topic Starter Poll Voter Windows User 1000 Posts
Re: What is it and where did it come from?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2013, 06:44:02 AM »
Could be something employed by that particular rebuilder to recoup worn cores or close. Never heard of Ford proper doing it but that means nothing.