1600 CC WATER PUMP
Date: 06/02/2018 09:13 am
2 Station Wagons for sale
Date: 04/20/2018 11:10 am
Pinto Wheel Well Trim
Date: 03/29/2017 11:35 am
Need '75 Pinto wagon front seat belt assembly housing
Date: 10/03/2018 10:46 pm

Author Topic: Popbumper's '76 wagon - update  (Read 80497 times)

Offline popbumper

• Pinto Master

• Total Badges: 8
    Badges: (View All)
    Tenth year Anniversary Topic Starter Signature Mobile User Poll Voter Windows User 1000 Posts Fifth year Anniversary
Re: Popbumper's '76 wagon - update
« Reply #270 on: November 10, 2013, 06:36:21 PM »
Just checking in quickly. I have been maddeningly getting things done recently, trying to take advantage of the nice weather (it all changes Tuesday), so tomorrow I have to throw some more paint on the car. I'll put some more pics up tomorrow, but here's the latest:
1) Today - got some insulation in the ceiling, on top of the "fatmat". The interior is basically ready for the headliner install now.
2) Today - did some more minor bodywork/priming touches to the passenger side door, rocker, and quarter. I cannot tell you how many hours (probably 50-60 if I'd guess) I spent on that quarter getting it to look straight again. After a former collision and lousy previous owner body repair, the metal was SO beat and stretched, it would have been best to cut and weld, but I don't have the tools, skills and equipment for that. Recreating a body line, let alone a wheel well surround is REAL ART.....and a real challenge....
3) Recently - Scored an NOS AM radio; an NOS "faux wood" dash center panel; an NOS A/C motor cover (goes on dash beneath the glove box - THANKS RICHARD GALLINA!!); and NOS door pin switches. The dash will officially (except for the cluster and light switch/wiper switch)) have ALL NOS parts, including the radio speaker, dash pad, vent outlets, and heat, A/C bezel. Incredible.
Tomorrow, I will apply paint to the passenger door, rocker and quarter. The car will be fully painted EXCEPT for the roof. Since I have discovered a number of small but visible defects in the bodywork (hey, I'm not perfect  :P ), the paint will be block sanded again, small defects will be repaired, and I will let someone who is a GREAT painter finish it - probably in the Spring.
NEXT WEEK I will make an effort to get the car to the upholstery shop for headliner installation, then major work for this year is complete. Over the winter I will do lots of small part prep (interior plastic panels, outside lenses, sill plates, seatbelt restoration, etc., etc.....)
Thanks all!! Exciting to see the light at the end of the tunnel!!
Chris
Restoring a 1976 MPG wagon - purchased 6/08

Offline dianne

• Pinto Sr. Master
  • Some old crazy lady

Topic Starter Signature Poll Voter Windows User Mobile User Linux User 1000 Posts Webmaster
« Reply #271 on: November 13, 2013, 06:59:59 PM »
I've got the same problem coming up with weather here in Idaho. I'm thinking the propane heater will do it!
Vehicles:

- 1972 Plymouth Duster (To be a Pro Street)
- 1973 Ford Pinto wagon (registered ride 195)
- 1976 Mustang II mini-stock
- 1978 Mustang King Cobra II
- 1979 Ford Pinto Runabout
- 1986 Chevy K5 Blazer
- 1997 Suzuki Marauder

FORD: Federal Ownership Respectfully Denied

Offline popbumper

• Pinto Master

Tenth year Anniversary Topic Starter Signature Mobile User Poll Voter Windows User 1000 Posts Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #272 on: November 13, 2013, 07:02:54 PM »
Fortunately I'm in Texas - this weekend we have weather forecasted again Saturday at 75 degrees and Sunday 80 - woohoo! I'll get my painting done :)

Offline dianne

• Pinto Sr. Master
  • Some old crazy lady

Topic Starter Signature Poll Voter Windows User Mobile User Linux User 1000 Posts Webmaster
« Reply #273 on: November 13, 2013, 07:17:44 PM »
Fortunately I'm in Texas - this weekend we have weather forecasted again Saturday at 75 degrees and Sunday 80 - woohoo! I'll get my painting done :)

Lucky you, I'm in Idaho and it's starting to get cold :(
Vehicles:

- 1986 Chevy K5 Blazer
- 1997 Suzuki Marauder

Offline popbumper

• Pinto Master

« Reply #274 on: November 13, 2013, 07:20:02 PM »
It was only about 48 today - we'll have little warmups until Thanksgiving, two months of "cold" (LOL), and then Spring starts. I'm "lucky" because I got laid off in September and I have been BUSTING HUMP trying to get stuff done. Paint this weekend, then off to the upholstery shop to install the new headliner. I'm not EVEN gonna attempt that!!!

Offline dianne

• Pinto Sr. Master
  • Some old crazy lady

« Reply #275 on: November 13, 2013, 07:22:14 PM »
"Lucky"? LOL In a way I guess you are ;)

Well, looking forward to seeing more pictures ya know :D

Other projects give me a LOT of wanting to move forward on mine!
Vehicles:

- 1986 Chevy K5 Blazer
- 1997 Suzuki Marauder

Offline popbumper

• Pinto Master

« Reply #276 on: November 13, 2013, 07:29:38 PM »
Well, I'm truly pissed about being laid off, but with the weather PERFECT for the last few weeks, the amount of work I got done was unbelievable. Were it not for the "break" I'd not nearly be as far.
Now, if I can get paint on the passenger quarter, rocker, and door, I'll be a happy camper. I got all of that bodywork done this past weekend (MAN - that quarter was HELL - I probably have 50 hours in it) - I also got insulation up in the roof for headliner installation.
Over the winter I will finish out the dash, install the NOS windshield, and work on a variety of external parts (I gotta start polishing up all of my metal trim and brightwork), order carpet, have custom carpet made for the rear interior, work on the plastic interior panels. Still SO MUCH to do.....

Offline dianne

• Pinto Sr. Master
  • Some old crazy lady

« Reply #277 on: November 13, 2013, 07:31:12 PM »
You're on your way, and honestly I'm glad I'm not the only one who is OCD with the repairs...
Vehicles:

- 1986 Chevy K5 Blazer
- 1997 Suzuki Marauder

Offline popbumper

• Pinto Master

« Reply #278 on: November 13, 2013, 07:35:16 PM »
OCD? Ridiculously so!! I knew the day I got the car and pulled the carpets up to discover the hidden rust beneath that I was opening the door to a LONG journey....bec ause I can't leave well enough alone. Seriously! I should have never bought THIS car (paid probably 5x too much), it was mechanically shot, and had so many hidden problems, but "do it right or go home". I committed myself to it....and I'm gonna see it through. The last owner (an elderly lady) knows I am working on it - I told here we'd take it for a drive when it was done. She was excited about it  :D

Offline dianne

• Pinto Sr. Master
  • Some old crazy lady

« Reply #279 on: November 13, 2013, 07:49:20 PM »
I got lucky with this one honestly. I'm going to more when the weather gets better but having to do the paint on it and 2 other cars, so little by little on each one :D

You'll love the OCD when the car is painted though :)
Vehicles:

- 1986 Chevy K5 Blazer
- 1997 Suzuki Marauder

Offline popbumper

• Pinto Master

« Reply #280 on: December 05, 2013, 01:32:40 AM »
Update for December 4th, 2013

Well, we had high temps of 79 degrees today with a BIG front coming, promising we won't be out of the 30's for a week starting tomorrow evening. This afternoon, I was fortunate enough to pull the car out and get some final sanding done on the roof prior to paint. It will have to wait until our next "warmup". In the meantime, progress will continue as weather allows. I wanted to get the first coat of paint on the whole car this year - got very close :).

Offline popbumper

• Pinto Master

« Reply #281 on: May 06, 2014, 06:01:56 PM »
Update 5/6/14

Literally, the years have flown. This car is on the downhill side now of completion, and I'm pretty excited about it - it's hard to believe this all started in the Summer of 2008. Right now (as you'll see if you review the photos), the car has its first guide coat of paint - trust me on this, it looks good but it's nowhere near where it needs to be. Fortunately, paint reveals missed body flaws, and I have a few.

This past weekend I finally painted my roof, while the wind wasn't blowing (rare day in Texas), and in my garage. With this complete, the following things can happen:

1) Headliner installation - the headliner was purchased two years ago, it will go to the shop within the next two weeks.
2) Buy new rubber seals
3) Windshield installation - good Lord, you HAVE to do the headliner before the windshield - augh!!
4) Install rear body panels - being refurbed now
5) Get all stainless and chrome fixed/prepped/refurbed/whatever

I want to get the car in the paint shop this Fall, and drive it next Spring. You know, it's gonna be like a new car when done. My little MPG wagon has had some creature comforts added as well. I've packed it with every NOS part I could find, including an NOS windshield, NOS dash, NOS AM radio and speaker, and NOS faux woodgrain dash trim. Upgrades from stock include adding factory air, an underhood blanket with brackets, power brakes, a rear courtesy lamp housing, and Fatmat throughout.

Getting there - what fun! Enjoy the pictures of the painting being done last weekend.

Chris

http://s1081.photobucket.com/user/popbumper/slideshow/1976%20Pinto%20wagon%20restoration/Roof%20and%20general

Offline dianne

• Pinto Sr. Master
  • Some old crazy lady

« Reply #282 on: May 06, 2014, 06:40:15 PM »
You've painted the whole car with a guide coat? WOW, I need to do that! Never thought of the whole car, I've been doing it in bits and pieces. What a GREAT way to find everything. It looks awesome!!!

Thanks for sharing!!!
Vehicles:

- 1986 Chevy K5 Blazer
- 1997 Suzuki Marauder

Offline popbumper

• Pinto Master

« Reply #283 on: May 07, 2014, 06:30:50 PM »
Thanks Dianne - yeah, it's getting there. I'm so happy to see it looking like a car again - it's been a long, hard expensive road - but it's a heck of a lot less than it would have cost to restore something like a Mustang, or a '57 Chevy or such - nothing wrong with them at all (I did a frame-off of a '57 back in the 80's), but I love having something so different and unique!!!

Chris

Offline dianne

• Pinto Sr. Master
  • Some old crazy lady

« Reply #284 on: May 07, 2014, 07:33:45 PM »
Well, you certainly have it :)
Vehicles:

- 1986 Chevy K5 Blazer
- 1997 Suzuki Marauder

Offline popbumper

• Pinto Master

« Reply #285 on: May 23, 2014, 03:06:54 PM »
(Update 5/23/14 - well not so much but...)

Dah! I have been putting together a price list for things that remain in the restore. You know, after six years of work on this car it's really added up - but it will be cool to have a "new classic car" for under $10k.....

NEXT: Headliner install $275 plus whatever it costs me to get it there....proba bly over the next two weeks. Just sold off one of my prized bass guitars to fund it. It sat unplayed - it deserves love.....and so does the car

THEN: Buying all new door and windshield seals, and window whisker things ($300)? After that I can install the NOS windshield...

THEN: New condenser for the A/C system - have a new compressor and the evaporator and box are all restored/installed.......

In the meantime I need to finish restoring my interior real wheel well panels, and a variety of other small things.

Getting there.....!! More pics as things continue.

Chris

Offline DBSS1234

• Pinto Full Member
  • Original owner 77 CW

• Total Badges: 6
    Tenth year Anniversary Mobile User Topic Starter Poll Voter Windows User Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #286 on: May 23, 2014, 03:45:02 PM »
"NEXT: Headliner install $275 plus whatever it costs me to get it there....proba bly over the next two weeks. Just sold off one of my prized bass guitars to fund it. It sat unplayed - it deserves love.....and so does the car"

To bad you are so far away, I did my own with a pre-sewn headliner. If you were closer I'd say come over and I would show you how and save you about $150.00. ???

Offline popbumper

• Pinto Master

« Reply #287 on: May 24, 2014, 02:53:47 PM »
Now I feel worse because I already bought a presewn headliner a few years back - it's ready to install - the guy is going to charge me $275 JUST to install it.....oy!  :o

But THANK YOU for the nice thought, surely I would have enjoyed knowing how to do it myself and working with you :)

Offline dianne

• Pinto Sr. Master
  • Some old crazy lady

« Reply #288 on: May 24, 2014, 02:58:26 PM »
Now I feel worse because I already bought a presewn headliner a few years back - it's ready to install - the guy is going to charge me $275 JUST to install it.....oy!  :o

But THANK YOU for the nice thought, surely I would have enjoyed knowing how to do it myself and working with you :)

That seems a tad excessive. You may want to check around, I had mine done in the Galaxie for around the same. It's actually an eight hour job I've been told. I don't know to be honest. But I think you're doing the right thing :)
Vehicles:

- 1986 Chevy K5 Blazer
- 1997 Suzuki Marauder

Offline russosborne

• Pinto Master
  • Another Pinto Driver

• Total Badges: 5
    Poll Voter Mobile User Topic Starter Signature 1000 Posts
« Reply #289 on: July 06, 2014, 10:38:18 PM »
Chris,(or anyone else) where did you buy the headliner?
My car came without one, so having my wife make me one isn't going to happen(no pattern to use).
Thanks,
Russ
In Glendale, Arizona

RIP Casey, Mallory, Abby, and Sadie. We miss you.

79 Pinto ESS fully caged fun car. In progress. 8inch 4.10 gears. 351C and a T5 waiting to go in.

Offline dianne

• Pinto Sr. Master
  • Some old crazy lady

« Reply #290 on: July 07, 2014, 06:42:55 AM »
Chris,(or anyone else) where did you buy the headliner?
My car came without one, so having my wife make me one isn't going to happen(no pattern to use).
Thanks,
Russ

I get mine on ebay, last one was for the Galaxie and it was perfect :)
Vehicles:

- 1986 Chevy K5 Blazer
- 1997 Suzuki Marauder

Offline russosborne

• Pinto Master
  • Another Pinto Driver

« Reply #291 on: July 18, 2014, 06:57:24 AM »
Wow,
I just read all of this from the beginning. I had forgotten I had even participated in this thread a few years ago, even though I posted just a couple of posts ago as well.  :-[
Chris, you have really come a long way with this car.  ;D Me, I have finally figured out that for me at least I need to concentrate on just one thing at a time or else I end up giving the car away in frustration.
Although going back and seeing all you have done is making me already have plans for my new Pinto.  :P
Russ
In Glendale, Arizona

79 Pinto ESS fully caged fun car. In progress. 8inch 4.10 gears. 351C and a T5 waiting to go in.

Offline popbumper

• Pinto Master

« Reply #292 on: August 06, 2014, 07:10:20 PM »
Update for August 6th, 2014

Russ, I missed your comment - yeah, I was reflecting today on how far it's really come, it's been a labor of love, no doubt about it. Thanks, and PLEASE DO keep up your own work - it is SO rewarding to make it across the hurdles.

UPDATE: TODAY I took THE HEADLINER plunge, and while like most things, I spent too much, I don't care. I rented a Uhaul pickup and trailer, cost me $102, and then $275 for the installation. BUT MY GOODNESS, the guy did a PRO job, and this WAS a major hurdle to overcome, because now I can get back to installing glass, and then getting the car sanded for the finishing coat.

My enthusiasm is outrageous as I see this car coming together from what it was - a sad hulk - with lots of hidden problems - to a beautifully restored vehicle. Still striving to get it done for Spring of 2015; each event gets me closer. ENJOY THE PICS please:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/u905j10mtmtga3t/AACDMK3N_gm987x7YFiIV-Bqa

REALLY starting to look like a car again :).

Chris

Offline russosborne

• Pinto Master
  • Another Pinto Driver

« Reply #293 on: August 06, 2014, 07:35:35 PM »
Wow, it is really getting there. Looking really good.
Russ
In Glendale, Arizona

Offline popbumper

• Pinto Master

« Reply #294 on: August 06, 2014, 07:56:16 PM »
Russ: Sorry, I never answered your question - I bought the headliner presewn from SMS fabrics in Oregon - don't recall the cost but it's was the exact material and color, and cut perfectly for the wagon. You can't go wrong with them.

Chris

Offline 74 PintoWagon

• Pinto Sr. Master
  • Another Pinto Driver

Topic Starter Signature Poll Voter Windows User 1000 Posts
« Reply #295 on: August 06, 2014, 09:30:04 PM »
Very nice indeed..
Art
65 Falcon 2DR 200 IL6 with C4.

Offline dga57

• Chief Moderator / Admin
  • FordPinto.com Moderator
  • Pinto PooBAH

Tenth year Anniversary Topic Starter Signature Poll Voter Mobile User Windows User 1000 Posts Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #296 on: August 07, 2014, 01:08:54 AM »
Chris,
Your dedication, patience, and attention to detail on this project never ceases to amaze me!  The wagon is looking great and that headliner is totally awesome!  I can't wait to see the finished product!
Dwayne :)
Pinto Car Club of America - Serving the Ford Pinto enthusiast since 1999.

Offline popbumper

• Pinto Master

« Reply #297 on: August 07, 2014, 02:56:26 PM »
Thank you all, I'm definitely a proud Pinto owner and I can't wait to share it with everyone when it's complete. I'll keep everyone posted. I promised myself six years ago I'd fight through this project, and it's wonderful to see it come to fruition :).

Chris

Offline popbumper

• Pinto Master

« Reply #298 on: October 22, 2015, 04:14:07 PM »
Update for October 22, 2015

Yes, it's been seven years. Yes, the project never stopped - and I'm finally getting my '76 MPG wagon ready for paint. Block sanding is God's answer to the argument "gee I'm bored - what can I do that will take forever?" LOL. Anyways, I have been, over the last year, not only collecting as many NOS parts as I can find but also prepping the body for paint. I hope to get it in ONE COLOR of primer NEXT WEEK before we get colder - of course in Texas, it's reasonably warm until Thanksgiving.

There's so much to say here, I'm way behind - but this car WILL be like brand new when I'm done. Waiting in the wings I have the following parts to install:
1) NOS bumpers
2) NOS grille and lamp housings
3) NOS rock guards
4) NOS chrome headlamp surrounds
5) NOS door handles
6) NOS rocker panel mouldings
7) NOS wheel well trim
8) NOS tail lamp housings

With the headliner FINALLY installed, and a new windshield in, it's bodywork/paint/reassemble. OH! And I have an 8" rear end out at the mechanic, gonna replace the 6.75" unit in case I ever up my power. I have 3.18 gearing now, going to 3.4, no biggie.

What have I ADDED to this wagon, from how I purchased it?
1) Factory AC pulled from a '74 hunk and completely restored (just bought an NOS condenser :))
2) Power brakes (it's a four speed manual, but I liked the feel of the power brakes)
3) Cushioning under the hood (including the crossbars to hold it in place)

Other NOS parts I have already added, or things done:
1) Power brake booster
2) MPG transfers (after paint)
3) Entirely rebuilt suspension, now working on rear suspension (have new leaf springs sitting waiting)
4) Entirely rebuilt dashboard, pulled, sandblasted, repainted, NOS cap, NOS speaker and bezel kit, NOS dash trim, NOS AC/Heater controls
5) Floor fully "fatmatted"
6) Gas tank removed, patched (welded), flushed, lined, painted, NOS sending unit
7) NOS horn cap (to be installed)
8) New headliner
9) New windshield
10) All trim buffed and polished (to be installed)
11) Motor and tranny removed and refurbed, new starter, alternator, solenoid, battery, regulator, water pump
12) NOS battery tray
13) NEW steering hardware
14) Interior trim repainted
15) New undercoating
16) All connector (bulb terminations) replaced; all wires reloomed
17) NOS right inner fender welded in (old one was DESTROYED from battery corrosion)
18) New firewall padding
19) Laser cut door panels (mine are all warped, I'm gonna redraw them in AutoCAD then have them cut

Yeah, that's about all I can think of. Anyways, here's a few pics of me nitpicking the heck outta the body. Man, I'm working SO hard to make this body perfect. Enjoy! I'll try to stay in touch more often. (SORRY FOR THE PICS - DONT KNOW WHY THEY WENT VERTICAL).

PS - RENEWED MY MEMBERSHIP HERE TOO :)

Offline dianne

• Pinto Sr. Master
  • Some old crazy lady

« Reply #299 on: October 22, 2015, 07:19:48 PM »
It looks good :D
Vehicles:

- 1986 Chevy K5 Blazer
- 1997 Suzuki Marauder