Dumping '80 yellow Pinto

Date: 06/21/2017 03:45 pm
Various parts for 1980 Pony (good to N.O.S. condition
Date: 06/07/2018 01:45 am
Wanted: automatic transmission shifter
Date: 07/21/2017 11:49 am
Wheel cap
Date: 04/25/2022 11:21 pm
Center armrest for 1979 pinto . Possible anyone who makes them of has one for sale
Date: 08/13/2017 02:01 pm
Pinto hubcap
Date: 01/07/2017 08:40 pm
71 72 front bumper brackets
Date: 06/10/2020 10:55 am

Poll

how to wire fuel injection

fuel injection
3 (75%)
carb
1 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Author Topic: 91 2.3L in a CJ2A  (Read 4556 times)

Offline dillonwilkinson

• Pinto Driver
  • Another Pinto Driver

• Total Badges: 4
    Badges: (View All)
    Topic Starter Apple User Mobile User Windows User
91 2.3L in a CJ2A
« on: January 28, 2015, 10:09:04 AM »
I'm new here and I've read a few things on this page and it seems like the people on here are pretty knowledgeable so here we go. I have a 48 willy's jeep that currently has a carbureted 302 in it. the engine swap was done when I got it and it was really cool for a while until I snapped the frame. I found a new frame and always told myself that when I get to the point of putting the new frame in it that I would get rid of the 302 and go with something a little smaller. after doing some research I found a company that has a full adapter setup to drop a 2.3l in a jeep like mine. I have a friend with a 91 mustang that has a fuel injected 2.3l in it but I don't know much about them (this one has the dual spark plug setup). my question is what does that engine need to see to run? id like to keep the fuel injection if possible but what does the ecm look at to make that engine run? if I can figure that out then I can go through the rest of the wiring harness and get rid of unneeded wires. if this just seems un-doable then how could you convert that engine to carbureted? I've seen different intake manifolds for those so a guy can bolt on a carburetor but if you do that then what do you do about the fuel injector holes in the head?   

Offline amc49

• PCCA VIP
  • Pinto Master
  • Another Pinto Driver

Topic Starter Poll Voter Windows User 1000 Posts
Re: 91 2.3L in a CJ2A
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 11:11:04 PM »
You will NOT be removing wires, rather installing them, a lot in fact.

Offline oldkayaker

• Pinto Master

• Total Badges: 5
    Topic Starter Signature Windows User Tenth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 03:23:21 AM »
Below is a link to a 1991 Mustang wiring diagram for the 2.3 engine.
http://www.rothfam.com/svo/reference/90-91Mustang.pdf
Jerry J - Jupiter, Florida

Offline pintoguy76

• Pinto Master
  • Pinto Driver

• Total Badges: 7
    Topic Starter Signature Mobile User Poll Voter Tenth year Anniversary Windows User Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 06:35:25 AM »
If you want I can help you wire up the fuel injection for the  91 2.3. Its not as hard as some people make it sound, in fact its really quite simple. A half dozen or so wires at most.....I put that same engine into my 74 pinto. I got it wired right the first time, it started right up. Didnt have to redo it or anything. It runs like a dream...I even wired up the check engine light and the vehicle speed sensor....

My engine is the exact same thing you are talking about - 1991 Mustang 2.3 Distributorles s Ignition with 8 spark plugs.
1974 Ford Pinto Wagon with 1991 Mustang DIS EFI 2.3 and stock Pinto 4 Speed

1996 Chevy C2500 Suburban with 6.5L Turbo Diesel/4L80E 4x2

1980 Volvo 265 with 1997 S-10 4.3 and a modified 700R4

2010 GMC Sierra SLE 1500 4x2 5.3 6L80E

Offline dillonwilkinson

• Pinto Driver
  • Another Pinto Driver

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 03:31:05 PM »
Thank you for the link oldkayaker. And for pintoguy76 I would love some help I would really appreciate that. I didn't think it would be too hard that's not that new of an engine I just don't know those engines like you guys do. How do you like having that engine in your car? How's the power and fuel economy?

Offline amc49

• PCCA VIP
  • Pinto Master
  • Another Pinto Driver

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 09:37:55 PM »
LOL, I'd like to see someone wire that up using only 6 wires. The injectors alone need five and they won't work without all the other sensors wired in as well. Way more than six wires if you look at that schematic. Easiest way is using the wiring harness and PCM that comes with the engine.

Offline dillonwilkinson

• Pinto Driver
  • Another Pinto Driver

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2015, 12:15:03 AM »
That's what I planned on doing. Then just weeding out what wires I don't need from the harness. That's why I was wondering what all the engine needs to run ( sensor wise)

Offline amc49

• PCCA VIP
  • Pinto Master
  • Another Pinto Driver

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2015, 12:01:32 PM »
Engine will need every single thing shown in that .pdf other than possibly the A4LD if you are running manual trans. Have fun wiring that IRCM module up. It controls fuel pump, a/c, and rad fan among other things. FYI fuel pump is inside fuel tank. Others here have gotten around that before.

You CAN do this, but absolutely not 6 wires only as said there. Engine needs every sensor in there, PCM will post codes and not run right if you dump any of them.

Offline pintoguy76

• Pinto Master
  • Pinto Driver

• Total Badges: 7
    Topic Starter Signature Mobile User Poll Voter Tenth year Anniversary Windows User Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2015, 08:39:38 PM »
I'm telling you there are only a few wires on that engine that need to be connected. Believe me, I've done it. The 91 2.3 uses an integrated relay module that basically has one power wire that runs to it, and one to the computer.... then one to heated oxygen sensor. A few grounds, the fuel pump, a hot-in-run to the ignition and i believe that is it....it was not hard.

Most of the wires you see in that diagram run between the sensors/engine controls and the computer. Only a handful actually go outside of the harness. There were only three connectors (each with a few wires that connected elsewhere in the car) that had to be disconnected from the donor car to remove the harness from the car itself. Some of those wires aren't even needed... such as the check engine light wire and the wire for the tachometer signal. Most people don't even hook those up. There are a few others that aren't needed too. I weeded those out......
1974 Ford Pinto Wagon with 1991 Mustang DIS EFI 2.3 and stock Pinto 4 Speed

1996 Chevy C2500 Suburban with 6.5L Turbo Diesel/4L80E 4x2

1980 Volvo 265 with 1997 S-10 4.3 and a modified 700R4

2010 GMC Sierra SLE 1500 4x2 5.3 6L80E

Offline amc49

• PCCA VIP
  • Pinto Master
  • Another Pinto Driver

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2015, 01:53:24 AM »
OP's original premise....... .........

' my question is what does that engine need to see to run? id like to keep the fuel injection if possible but what does the ecm look at to make that engine run? if I can figure that out then I can go through the rest of the wiring harness and get rid of unneeded wires.'

You are assuming OP has the complete wiring harness, say it. He seems to say he doesn't, worlds apart there.

Highly over simplified and how people get into big trouble to begin with. Leave anything in that .pdf out and you will be pretty much walking....... ..........and why on earth would someone not hook up check engine light wire, self inflicted pain of the highest order and not smart at all. The O2 has a heater as well-one wire only wastes lots of fuel in prolonged open loop.

Offline dianne

• Pinto Sr. Master
  • Some old crazy lady

• Total Badges: 8
    Topic Starter Signature Poll Voter Windows User Mobile User Linux User 1000 Posts Webmaster
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2015, 07:18:55 AM »
I got all that for 2.3 EFI I'm putting in. It has everything mostly including the computer and wiring harnesses. I was lucky as this guy saved them all.

Those can be pulled out of pretty much any fox body, can't they?
Vehicles:

- 1972 Plymouth Duster (To be a Pro Street)
- 1973 Ford Pinto wagon (registered ride 195)
- 1976 Mustang II mini-stock
- 1978 Mustang King Cobra II
- 1979 Ford Pinto Runabout
- 1986 Chevy K5 Blazer
- 1997 Suzuki Marauder

FORD: Federal Ownership Respectfully Denied

Offline Pinturbo75

• Pinto Sr. Member

• Total Badges: 6
    Topic Starter Signature Tenth year Anniversary Poll Voter Windows User Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2015, 07:46:41 AM »
what the person was refering to with the 6 wire comment is ..... with a harness for the engine there are only a few wires that need to be connected to the vehicle to obtain power for the ecu and fuel circuits... along witha couple grounds....som e people on here... who have never even attempted this swap,,,,, act like they invented it ..... if you have never done it and all your info is hearsay or what youve read.... then post the links up and shut the hell up
75 turbo pinto trunk, megasquirt2, 133lb injectors, bv head, precision 6265 turbo, 3" exhaust,bobs log, 8.8, t5,, subframe connectors, 65 mm tb, frontmount ic, traction bars, 255 lph walbro,
73 turbo pinto panel wagon, ms1, 85 lb inj, fmic, holset hy35, 3" exhaust, msd, bov,

Offline dianne

• Pinto Sr. Master
  • Some old crazy lady

Topic Starter Signature Poll Voter Windows User Mobile User Linux User 1000 Posts Webmaster
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2015, 08:36:51 AM »
what the person was refering to with the 6 wire comment is ..... with a harness for the engine there are only a few wires that need to be connected to the vehicle to obtain power for the ecu and fuel circuits... along witha couple grounds....som e people on here... who have never even attempted this swap,,,,, act like they invented it ..... if you have never done it and all your info is hearsay or what youve read.... then post the links up and shut the hell up

I
ll post a zillion pics of the swap for the next ones. Pinto_one has done it, but a turbo I guess.
Vehicles:

- 1986 Chevy K5 Blazer
- 1997 Suzuki Marauder

Offline pinto_one

• Pinto Master
  • Pinto-One

• Total Badges: 10
    1000 Posts Photographer Tenth year Anniversary Topic Starter Signature Poll Voter Mobile User Apple User Windows User Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2015, 12:53:04 PM »
The wiring should be done after all the hard parts are in place and bolted down,  wiring diagrams are out there for the year motor and ECM you are using , autozone does have the diagrams on line to copy and print, if you removed the whole harness from the car you will have to trim it down to shorten it, ECM placement is nice above the glove box , high and dry, max wire length from there is less than four feet,  when you start to make your harness chose a place the is quite and free of kids , nagging love ones and phones, next clean the wire before you start cutting, use a good soap , do not use , MEK, lacquer thinner , it will remove the stripes on the wires,  solder the wires together using a western union joint, and cover with heat shrink tubing , once you have every thing in place double check , once you let the smoke out of the ECM you can not put the smoke back in, its toast,  learn what each sensor is and what it does, and where the wires goes , the more you learn the easy er the out come, and do wire in the plug for the code reader, I have seen a few people have cut that out , bad when your on the side of the road trying to figure out what is wrong , hope this helps some poor (sap) individual from letting the smoke out, later Blaine :o
76 Pinto sedan V6 , 79 pinto cruiser wagon V6 soon to be diesel or 4.0

Offline dianne

• Pinto Sr. Master
  • Some old crazy lady

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2015, 01:25:34 PM »
The wiring should be done after all the hard parts are in place and bolted down,  wiring diagrams are out there for the year motor and ECM you are using , autozone does have the diagrams on line to copy and print, if you removed the whole harness from the car you will have to trim it down to shorten it, ECM placement is nice above the glove box , high and dry, max wire length from there is less than four feet,  when you start to make your harness chose a place the is quite and free of kids , nagging love ones and phones, next clean the wire before you start cutting, use a good soap , do not use , MEK, lacquer thinner , it will remove the stripes on the wires,  solder the wires together using a western union joint, and cover with heat shrink tubing , once you have every thing in place double check , once you let the smoke out of the ECM you can not put the smoke back in, its toast,  learn what each sensor is and what it does, and where the wires goes , the more you learn the easy er the out come, and do wire in the plug for the code reader, I have seen a few people have cut that out , bad when your on the side of the road trying to figure out what is wrong , hope this helps some poor (sap) individual from letting the smoke out, later Blaine :o

We have Mitchell 1 and can print them if anyone wants.
Vehicles:

- 1986 Chevy K5 Blazer
- 1997 Suzuki Marauder

Offline amc49

• PCCA VIP
  • Pinto Master
  • Another Pinto Driver

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2015, 10:05:17 PM »
The swap is child's play but that is not what OP asked, one either can read or they can't...........LO L

'...what the person was refering to with the 6 wire comment is ..... with a harness for the engine there are only a few wires that need to be connected...'

Then he needs to make that perfectly clear, the answer was nothing like that and highly misleading. We can go even further to say car only needs two wires only....at battery terminals....a nd essentially still be correct but what good is that?

FYI, I have wired entire cars and drivetrains many times in my life; if comments directed at me. Piece of cake.

Yes one could pull wiring out of any car with the proper wiring in it............ the schematic is the thing, once you have that you are set to go. Some Ford ones are harder to read than others though, they change the style and layout up from time to time.