Clutch Pedals for 75to 80 Pinto
Date: 09/21/2018 11:35 am
Gas Tank Sending Unit
Date: 05/22/2018 02:17 pm
1977 Front Sump 2.3 Oil Pan
Date: 09/14/2018 11:42 pm
74 Pinto wagon armrests
Date: 01/18/2017 07:04 pm

Author Topic: How to obtain a " Build Sheet" from Ford.  (Read 33845 times)

Offline turbopinto72

• Master Mechanic
  • Administrator
  • Pinto Sr. Master
  • Your never to old to go fast.
    • Brads Pintos and Pangras

• Total Badges: 10
    Badges: (View All)
    Topic Starter Signature Poll Voter Mobile User Photographer Windows User 1000 Posts Webmaster Tenth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary
How to obtain a " Build Sheet" from Ford.
« on: September 29, 2004, 11:16:38 AM »
Ford offers a service where owners can obtain a " History 999 Report" for their vehicle. You call their toll-free 800 number and ask for a History 999 report, give them the make, modle and the VIN. Then, Ford will send you what amounts to the build sheet for your vehicle. This sheet will tell you all the options that your vehicle came with from the factory. This service is available for all Ford, Lincoln and Mercury vehicles from 1967 to 1996.
Contact: Ford Motor Company, Customer Assistance Center, 16800 Executive Plaza Drive, P.O. Box 6248, Dearborn, MI 48121 USA. In the USA, call toll free 1-800-392-3673. In Canada call toll free 1-800-565-3673. Outside the US or Canada, contact Ford Worldwide Direct Market Operations, 1555 Fairlane Drive, Allen Park, Michigan 48101. Telephone 313-594-4857. Fax: 313-390-0804.
Although Ford prefers that you contact customer assistance in your own country, you can send an email request to Kate, the Ford virtual customer service representive, on the Contact us page of the www.ford.com or www.mercuryveh icles.com websites.

NOTE, this information is assumed reliable, however it was generated form FAQ Mercury Monarch web site and untill someone on this site comfirms it to be correct it is for general information only.
Brad F
1972, 2.5 Turbo Pinto
1972, Pangra
1973, Pangra
1971, 289 Pinto

Offline losin sux

• Pinto Full Member
  • Sabrina had the best car of all the Angels

• Total Badges: 5
    Topic Starter Signature Poll Voter Tenth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary
Re: How to obtain a " Build Sheet" from Ford.
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2004, 08:18:16 PM »
Just out of curiosity I called Ford and requested a History 999 Report on my car.  They want the VIN AND the door code info, so if you call have that handy.  I doubt the form will have much on it other than what I already know based on using Joels' VIN decoder program.  The lady told me it would take 4-6 weeks to get it out.  I will post back when I get it and let everyone know if it is worth the phone call.  She didn't even chuckle when I told her it was for a 77 Pinto!
77 HB 2.3 C3 3.40

Offline turbopinto72

• Master Mechanic
  • Administrator
  • Pinto Sr. Master

Topic Starter Signature Poll Voter Mobile User Photographer Windows User 1000 Posts Webmaster Tenth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2004, 10:06:43 PM »
Cool, thanks for taking the time and checking it out.
Brad F
1972, 2.5 Turbo Pinto
1972, Pangra
1973, Pangra
1971, 289 Pinto

Offline RobertConner

• Pinto Member
  • Another Pinto Driver

Topic Starter Signature Poll Voter Tenth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2005, 03:40:33 AM »
Just out of curiosity I called Ford and requested a History 999 Report on my car.  They want the VIN AND the door code info, so if you call have that handy.  I doubt the form will have much on it other than what I already know based on using Joels' VIN decoder program.  The lady told me it would take 4-6 weeks to get it out.  I will post back when I get it and let everyone know if it is worth the phone call.  She didn't even chuckle when I told her it was for a 77 Pinto!

So, did you ever get a build sheet for your Pinto? What data did it have on it? IOW, was it worth the effort? A copy of the build sheet would be a nice piece of documentation to have for your Pinto. At least I think so. :D
Pinto= Put In Nickel To Operate

HEY, FORD! Bring back the Pinto!

Offline RobertConner

• Pinto Member
  • Another Pinto Driver

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2005, 10:56:21 PM »
I called the number late Monday afternoon, and my build sheet was in my mailbox today! Not bad. Thanks, Ford.

Okay, they start with a breakdown of the VIN, which I think most of us know by now, or at least as much as they pertain to our cars.

Then it gives that date the car was built, and it follows with an option list.
For example, mine shows the following options.
* Jade, Dark Metallic Exterior Color
* Jade, Dark Valino Front Half
* Jade Vinyl Interior Bucket Seat
* Glass Rear Door
* XP Type Automatic Transmission
* 3.40 Non Locking Rear Axle
* Immersion Heater
* A78 X 13/B BWS Tires
* Convienience Group
* Power Steering
* Power Disc Brakes
* Rear Window Defroster
* AM Radio
* Interior Decor Group
* L.H. & R.H. Remote Racing Mirrors
* Front License Plate Bracket
* Wire Wheel Covers
* Body Side Moulding Normal

So, it appears that my Pinto was pretty well optioned out. All that's missing is air conditioning.
But I gotta ask, What the hell is an immersion heater? And what is an XP type automatic transmission? I've never heard of either one. Can anyone clue me in?

Anyway, I plan to get one for my 84 Crown Vic come Monday.   :)

Anyone else gotten their report back yet?
Pinto= Put In Nickel To Operate

HEY, FORD! Bring back the Pinto!

Offline turbopinto72

• Master Mechanic
  • Administrator
  • Pinto Sr. Master

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2005, 08:58:32 PM »
Hey, thats great to hear you got your report.
Brad F
1972, 2.5 Turbo Pinto
1972, Pangra
1973, Pangra
1971, 289 Pinto

Offline ilvmy76

• Pinto Member
  • 1976 pretty blue wagon 38k so far!

• Total Badges: 6
    Topic Starter Signature Poll Voter Tenth year Anniversary Windows User Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2005, 09:55:03 PM »
"Immersion Heater"
a large paperclip looking "thingy" with a 110v cord attached, that you put into a coffee cup, to make your cold coffee hot again.

lol....sorry, couldn't help it...but that sheet sounds so cool, i'm gonna get one too, need help with my wheels, maybe it'll give me a leg up.  thanks guys!!
worry does not empty tomorrow of it's troubles, it emptys today of it's strength!

Offline popbumper

• Pinto Master

• Total Badges: 8
    Tenth year Anniversary Topic Starter Signature Mobile User Poll Voter Windows User 1000 Posts Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 03:43:16 PM »
Thanks for the info! I phoned Ford and requested my info today  ;D.

Chris
Restoring a 1976 MPG wagon - purchased 6/08

Offline turbopinto72

• Master Mechanic
  • Administrator
  • Pinto Sr. Master

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2008, 04:20:46 PM »
Cool !!! I hope you find the sheet usefull.
Brad F
1972, 2.5 Turbo Pinto
1972, Pangra
1973, Pangra
1971, 289 Pinto

Offline 78squirewagon

• WEBmaster loserscarclub.com
  • PCCA VIP
  • Pinto Sr. Member
  • LONG LIVE THE LITTLE PONIES!!!

Topic Starter Signature Tenth year Anniversary Poll Voter Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2008, 09:10:55 PM »
I did this a couple of years ago when I got my wagon and it's actually pretty cool. I had almost forgotten about it until it showed up in the mail one day. When I show it to people, they want to get one for their Fords so it does work. It was a little more detailed than I expected so that was a bonus and the Ford letter head certainly adds to it.

Mark
1978 Squire wagon,red, 69000 and counting original miles

1978 Hatchback, red (built four days after  the Squire)

Offline dave1987

• Pinto Sr. Master

• Total Badges: 11
    Topic Starter Signature Tenth year Anniversary Poll Voter Mobile User Apple User Linux User Windows User 1000 Posts Fifth year Anniversary Photographer
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2008, 09:41:34 PM »
I got mine in the mail today. Here's a copy of it:

Apparently Pintos are fastbacks! :D Looks like the Mustang guys have something coming for them. ;)
1978 Ford Pinto Sedan - Family owned since new

Remembering Jeff Fitcher with every drive in my 78 Sedan.

I am a Pinto Surgeon. Fixing problems and giving Pintos a chance to live again is more than a hobby, it's a passion!

Offline 77turbopinto

• PCCA VIP
  • Pinto Sr. Master
  • No good deed goes unpunished…..

Topic Starter Signature Poll Voter Tenth year Anniversary 1000 Posts Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2008, 12:34:53 PM »
I had called for mine on 6/17/08 and never got them. I just called today and they show that I called them on that date, gave them the info, and that they called me back, but they have no record of mailing them. They will (re)send them, but they have to call me back (again) and it will be 4-6 weeks (again). Oh well..... It's still free.

I thought I would post this to let everyone know that if you don't get them in the time they tell you, call them back.

Bill
Thanks to all U.S. Military members past & present.

Offline bbobcat75

• Pinto Master

• Total Badges: 9
    Tenth year Anniversary Topic Starter Signature Poll Voter 1000 Posts Apple User Mobile User Windows User Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2011, 08:30:29 PM »
called the number today to get a history 999 report for the new bobcat wagon i just got  and the lady had NO IDEA what i was talking  about anyone tried to get one lately???
thanks
eric
1975 mercury bobcat 2.8 auto
1978 mercury bobcat wagon 2.3l - soon to have a 88 tc drive line - SOLD - 🙁
1975 ford pinto - drag car - 2.3l w/t5 trans - project car

Offline pintoblue

• Pinto Driver
  • Another Pinto Driver

• Total Badges: 4
    Topic Starter Fifth year Anniversary Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2011, 09:47:51 AM »
I tried it one day this week, and likewise the women I talked to had no idea what a History 999 report was, but she said I
could obtain a build sheet by going to shopfordgear.c om. I went there and the cost is $17. Forget that. For $15 you can get
a basic Marti Report for a Pinto.

Offline pintoman1972

• Pinto Full Member
  • EXTREME PRO STREET

Topic Starter Poll Voter Fifth year Anniversary Windows User Photographer
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2011, 01:26:07 PM »
Ok gang,

You can obtain basic production information about your Ford Pinto directly from FORD.  The trick is knowing how.  You can choose between writing or by phone.

To request by mail, write to:

Ford Motor Company
Customer Relationship Center
P.O. Box 6248
Dearborn, MI 48126

Write a short letter asking for the original specifications and optional equipment for VIN number   xxxxxxxxxxx    Make sure you also provide them with your name and mailing address.  In a few weeks, maybe up to 6 weeks, you will receive a letter with the information you requested.   

It takes time for someone to go back into 40 year old paper records to research and find the info for your exact VIN number.  The information they have to gather and put into a letter back to you includes the breakdown of your VIN number that will show model year, plant produced at, car type, engine and unit number.  They also will provide you with the exact date your vehicle was produced as well as a listing of all the optional equipment on your vehicle at the time of production.  That includes but is not limited information about the original exterior paint color, interior trim scheme, interior trim color, transmission type, rear axle ratio, tire size, and so on.

To make the same request by phone call  800-392-3673
8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.  Local Time for Dearborn, MI Monday-Friday.  Just tell then you are requesting production information for your 19xx Ford Pinto.  They will ask for your VIN number, name and address, and like above you will eventually receive that info.

If you have a problem during your phone request, ask for Michelle Perez who is or at least was the Research Unit Rep for the North American Customer Relations Center.

This is basic production information and not a formal build sheet.  But it does list all the stuff that would normally be on the build sheet.

I am still looking for a copy of someones original 1972 Pinto build sheet and or window sticker so that I can make up my own to look like what it may have been back in the day.  Would appreciate hearing from anyone who can provide me with same.

Thanks,

Dick

Offline Bigtimmay

• Pinto Sr. Member
  • Everythings better with boost!

Topic Starter Signature Poll Voter Fifth year Anniversary Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2011, 01:35:38 PM »
I called them maybe a week ago and i got told the only way to get that info is to buy the build sheet of shopfordgear.c om. So i just did all the work myself and I know prolly just as much as they know just by decoding the doors sticker.
1978 Mercury Bobcat 2.3t swapped.Always needs more parts!

Offline pintoman1972

• Pinto Full Member
  • EXTREME PRO STREET

Topic Starter Poll Voter Fifth year Anniversary Windows User Photographer
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2011, 01:45:57 PM »
I made my phone request back in February of this year.  Took about 5 weeks to get my info in a letter.

If they have changed their policy of provinding info since then, well what can I say.

Dick

Offline flash041

• PCCA VIP
  • Pinto Master

• Total Badges: 8
    Tenth year Anniversary Topic Starter Signature Poll Voter Windows User Linux User Mobile User Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2011, 02:32:28 PM »
Here is a copy of my 78 build sheet.
1978 Pinto Cruising wagon (I am the original owner ! ) Built Aug 15th 1977 in NJ
1993 Mustang LX 2.3 convertible

Offline STUNTKARZ

• Pinto Driver
  • Another Pinto Driver

• Total Badges: 0
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2013, 10:19:00 AM »
Hello All, Here's the latest in the quest to get a " Build Sheet " letter from Ford. You must order online at ShopFordGear.c om I first tried customer service at 800-392-3673 and they could not take the request over the phone. There are two options, Basic for $17 and Deluxe for $46. Attached are samples of what you will get. Sounds similar to what you get in a Marti Report however I think on Ford letterhead with a Ford signature looks a lot better.