Pinto Wheel Well Trim
Date: 03/29/2017 11:35 am
1980 Pinto taillights
Date: 12/26/2017 03:48 pm
78 hatchback

Date: 03/12/2023 06:50 pm
GRILLE NEEDED '71,'72,'73 for a '73 Pinto
Date: 02/10/2017 09:30 am

Author Topic: Buying a Pinto  (Read 23913 times)

Offline bbobcat75

• Pinto Master

• Total Badges: 9
    Badges: (View All)
    Tenth year Anniversary Topic Starter Signature Poll Voter 1000 Posts Apple User Mobile User Windows User Fifth year Anniversary
Re: Buying a Pinto
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2014, 12:43:26 PM »
When I mention the term "trud" I was not calling your car or a pinto a turd! I own 5  3 bobcats and 2 pintos! I love these cars! I simply was saying that it looks like a large project and to build stock would be tough with out nos or super nice parts! Meaning at to find ok parts and do a hobby level repair! Have had friends in the past try to rebuild cars - most rusted out - they hang new quarters and fenders and its a parade car! Waves as it goes by and looks great at 30 ft! They started with crap and after all that time and money ended with the same!     Good luck and hope your project goes well! As I stated earlier I would personally start with a better shell- but I'm not a full on body guy I can paint and sand! Not a metal finisher!
1975 mercury bobcat 2.8 auto
1978 mercury bobcat wagon 2.3l - soon to have a 88 tc drive line - SOLD - 🙁
1975 ford pinto - drag car - 2.3l w/t5 trans - project car

Offline r4pinto

• Pinto PooBAH
  • All hail Ford Pinto!!!!

• Total Badges: 9
    Topic Starter Signature Poll Voter Linux User Mobile User Windows User 1000 Posts Tenth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2014, 02:58:31 PM »
I never said it was low mileage. Just that it had only 56K-ish....

Well if you wanna get technical 56k-ish miles is low mileage for a 1973 car.  That equals to an estimate of 1366 a year. Now, I dunno about you but I consider that low miles. Especially with the national average being anywhere between approximiately 12k-15k per year.  Now, back to the subject at hand.  Would I want to take on fixing that car? No, not at all but I also don't have the skill, money, time, or patience for a project like that. BUT.... it is not my car, it is your car & nobody can tell you whether you should or should not fix it. Gotta do what you feel is right. Nothing more, nothing less. If I had the ability, time, money, & patience I would be fixing my crusty, rusty 77 Pinto instead of parting it out.

Either way, looking forward to seeing the progress of the work on the car. Good luck!  ;D
Matt Manter
1977 Pinto sedan- Named Harold II after the first Pinto(Harold) owned by my mom. R.I.P mom- 1980 parts provider & money machine for anything that won't fit the 80
1980 Pinto Runabout- work in progress

Offline Reeves1

• Pinto Master
  • BAWS302

• Total Badges: 6
    Tenth year Anniversary Topic Starter Signature Fifth year Anniversary Windows User 1000 Posts
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2014, 05:26:54 PM »
I plan to cut the entire front suspension out, move the axle center line forward about 4-6" and replace it with '74-80 parts so I can buy narrow control arms and drop spindles. The later front end parts are just much better supported in the aftermarket.

Front fenders etc are all off my car.
I have a chair & bucket table beside it for bottled water (  ;D ) or...
So , sitting & looking at my car.........

Take this as just my thoughts & mean no disrespect....

Looking at my 72 front end I'm finding it hard to see any benefit of moving the cross member forward & with a newer one to boot.
This adds more weight to the front end. Lots more.
Plus it moves it to a weaker point on the frame rails, which are a different shape & width.
Speaking of width, isn't the 74 ^ wider ?
This would mean narrowing the "new" cross member.
Also means mods to the steering.

Then, due to the cross member being moved forward, the wheel wells will have to change.....ext ending the fenders.
Same for the hood.

Seems to me you would be pushing a bunch of weight forward, plus adding a bunch more weight to the front end by having to extend fenders hood etc.

Somehow I'm not seeing any net gain , but a loss.

You would (maybe ?) gain by being able to use a rear sump pan ?
If just that & being able to use newer parts, I see a huge cost with a net loss.
Like I said, not seeing any net gain.

Would like to read your thoughts on any gains , that I'm not able to see ?

Offline tjm73

• Pinto Member
  • Another Pinto Driver

• Total Badges: 3
    Topic Starter Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2014, 10:04:49 PM »
First, I appreciate the thoughts. Constructive criticism is always welcome.

My desire to move the cross member forward serves three purposes for me.

First, it corrects an aesthetic issue that has always bugged me for Pintos and Mustang II's. The front axle center line is simply too far back. It needs to more forward 4"-6" in order to look right.

Second, moving the center line forward adds wheelbase to the car. This improves ride quality and adds straight line stability. I will admit that this benefit is likely small.

Third, moving the center line forward effectively places more of the V8 I will be installing behind the center line which improves static weight distribution. This will improve ride quality, handling and breaking.

As to your observations about frame rail width and extending the fender and hood. I was actually in my barn the other night sitting on my lawn mower with the iPod playing some music looking at the Pinto thinking about how to tie the front suspension into the existing uni-body and back to the intended back half sub-frame.

I got down off the mower, grabbed my tape measure and popped the hood. I was studying the frame rails and inner fenders. Thinking about the V8 I plan to install, how the exhaust system woudl run, the relocation of the axle center line, the impact on wheel movement in the up and down action of riding over bumps and the left/right action of executing turns. It occurred to me that the front frame rails may need to be modified or removed & replaced. This means inner fender modifications. Nothing that is impossible to do, but something I want to give prolonged thought to doing before I do it.

The changed axle center line would be contained entirely within the existing fender real estate. I will not make the fenders/hood longer. I would cut the wheel arches out and move them forward, then add appropriate material to fill the gap.  It would continue to use a stock hood.

While I was studying the frame rails and such, I looked at the firewall. I am certain that it would be worthwhile the apply the old hot rod trick of recessing some of the firewall. Probably no more than 2-3 inches deep and about 24" wide. Moving the axle CL forward and being able to get the engine back a couple inches will provide much needed engine bay length in the early chassis.

Lastly, I don't see it adding any significant weight. I am actually reducing the weight forward of the axle CL which transfers some weight rearward which splits that weight to be carried by both axles.

Upon contemplating all this, I began to question if I want to move forward with this project. I need to speak with my brother and get his thoughts on this. He has more fabricating experience than I do. I'm starting to wonder if I should put my efforts, time and money into an entirely different chassis. Have not decided yet.

Offline Reeves1

• Pinto Master
  • BAWS302

Tenth year Anniversary Topic Starter Signature Fifth year Anniversary Windows User 1000 Posts
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2014, 04:32:27 AM »
Thank you for the reply.

Sounds like you are really head scratching this out well.

Offline oldkayaker

• Pinto Master

• Total Badges: 5
    Topic Starter Signature Windows User Tenth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2014, 05:46:08 AM »
Below are links to a couple builds that include extending the wheel base while not using longer fenders (relocated wheel opening forward).  May give you some ideas, have fun with the project.

http://www.fordpinto.com/your-project/prostreet49335-more-pics/msg25900/#msg25900

http://www.fordpinto.com/your-pintos/turbo-pinto-drag-car-(video-of-082308-5-93-run)/msg36103/#msg36103
Jerry J - Jupiter, Florida

Offline tjm73

• Pinto Member
  • Another Pinto Driver

« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2014, 09:54:35 AM »
I don't take making structural modifications lightly. Simply moving the wheels forward truly isn't simple. It changes how the forces act on the uni-body and demands consideration for a lot of seen and unseen factors. Do it wrong and you ruin the car. I'm coming to realize my idea basically amounts to building a full tube chassis race car that is intended to be driven on the street 80-90% of the time.

Thanks for those links too.

Offline jeremysdad

• Pinto Sr. Member
  • Restoring a Daily Driver

• Total Badges: 4
    Fifth year Anniversary Topic Starter Poll Voter Windows User
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2014, 04:07:02 AM »
I agree. Full tube chassis. That's how the Pinto started the 'Funny car' revolution back in the 70's. ;) lol

Offline dick1172762

• Vintage Pinto Racer
  • PCCA Management Board
  • Pinto Sr. Master
  • I'm a llama!

• Total Badges: 7
    Topic Starter Signature Poll Voter Windows User 1000 Posts Tenth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2014, 08:02:52 AM »
I agree. Full tube chassis. That's how the Pinto started the 'Funny car' revolution back in the 70's. ;) lol
     That not the way it was by a long shot. First funny cars were 64 and 65 Mopars, when they moved all 4 wheels forward and installed a straight axel under the front. This was done in the mid 60's and they ran in the FX class till AHRA started the funny car class. AHRA started the funny car, and pro stock class plus ran fuel dragsters while NHRA had their head under a rock somewhere. I was there and ran pro stock with AHRA in the late 60's. Jean Snow was running a funny car at the time all over the country. Been there/done that.
Its better to be a has-been, than a never was.

Offline Wittsend

• Pinto Master

• Total Badges: 8
    Tenth year Anniversary Mobile User Topic Starter Poll Voter 1000 Posts Linux User Windows User Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2014, 05:50:23 PM »
 Gene Snow (not Jean). But yes, you are correct, Funny cars predate the Pinto by a fair number of years. Mickey Thompson -  and also the Lee Eliminator were some of the first Pinto Funny Cars I recall.

Offline tjm73

• Pinto Member
  • Another Pinto Driver

« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2014, 07:50:52 PM »

And my favorite.....

Offline tjm73

• Pinto Member
  • Another Pinto Driver

« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2014, 09:44:43 PM »
Finding parts for this car is proving a challenge. But I recently secured a NOS lower rear valence pan and have a line on a NOS taillight panel. That leaves the sheet metal search at finding a drivers quarter panel and odd small bits I am not yet aware of. I continue to hunt for a rear bumper. I don;'t even need a nice one, just one nice enough to have re-chromed.

I'm finding the lack of parts availability to be a real morale buster. A part of me says part it out and buy something that's easier to get parts for. I am of the Fox Mustang generation, so I have a big soft spot for all cars Fox based. Capri's, Mustang's, Fairmont's, Thunderbird's, Cougar's, LTD's, Mark VII's, et al...

Offline russosborne

• Pinto Master
  • Another Pinto Driver

Poll Voter Mobile User Topic Starter Signature 1000 Posts
« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2014, 02:22:57 AM »
Where all are you looking for parts?
Come out here (Phoenix AZ area).  ;D
While here you could also pick this up really cheap and solve your chassis problem.
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/cto/4624319115.html
Russ
In Glendale, Arizona

RIP Casey, Mallory, Abby, and Sadie. We miss you.

79 Pinto ESS fully caged fun car. In progress. 8inch 4.10 gears. 351C and a T5 waiting to go in.

Offline TIGGER

• PCCA Charter Member
  • Pinto Master

• Total Badges: 10
    Topic Starter Signature Poll Voter Windows User Apple User Mobile User 1000 Posts Tenth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary Photographer
« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2014, 07:04:44 PM »
Finding parts for this car is proving a challenge. But I recently secured a NOS lower rear valence pan and have a line on a NOS taillight panel. That leaves the sheet metal search at finding a drivers quarter panel and odd small bits I am not yet aware of. I continue to hunt for a rear bumper. I don;'t even need a nice one, just one nice enough to have re-chromed.

I'm finding the lack of parts availability to be a real morale buster. A part of me says part it out and buy something that's easier to get parts for. I am of the Fox Mustang generation, so I have a big soft spot for all cars Fox based. Capri's, Mustang's, Fairmont's, Thunderbird's, Cougar's, LTD's, Mark VII's, et al...

I have a used drivers quarter that I cut off a low mileage 72 sedan I had a couple years back.  I believe it is 100% rust free.  I am not sure where you are located at but I am in Oregon.  PM me if interested.
79 4cyl Wagon
73 Turbo HB
78 Cruising Wagon (sold 8/6/11)

Offline tjm73

• Pinto Member
  • Another Pinto Driver

« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2014, 08:16:20 PM »
Where all are you looking for parts?
Come out here (Phoenix AZ area).  ;D
While here you could also pick this up really cheap and solve your chassis problem.
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/cto/4624319115.html
Russ

The West and Southwest..... if only it was closer to me. I live in Western NY near Rochester (about an hour East of Buffalo). On average we get around 100" of snow every year and we have lots of salt. So they spread that stuff like mad. As you can imagine, not much lasts for much more than 8-10 winters without serious attempts to protect it. Pinto's did not fair well in the Northeast. I expect to have stuff shipped a long ways to get it.

I have a used drivers quarter that I cut off a low mileage 72 sedan I had a couple years back.  I believe it is 100% rust free.  I am not sure where you are located at but I am in Oregon.  PM me if interested.

It'd be cost prohibitive I'm sure, but thanks for the offer.

Offline Pinto5.0

• Pinto Master
  • 80 hatch, 76 Wagon, 72 & 73 Sedans, 71 half hatch

Topic Starter Signature Poll Voter Mobile User Fifth year Anniversary Windows User 1000 Posts
« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2014, 01:53:05 AM »
I've got a mint drivers side quarter that I bought the whole car to get & an NOS rear bumper with the holes for the rubber strips. Depending on where you are I can bring them to you. I deliver to Eastern Hills mall in Buffalo & Greece & Marketplace malls in Rochester.
'73 Sedan (I'll get to it)
'76 Wagon driver
'80 hatch(Restoring to be my son's 1st car)~Callisto
'71 half hatch (bucket list Pinto)~Ghost
'72 sedan 5.0/T5~Lemon Squeeze

Offline sedandelivery

• Pinto Sr. Member
  • Another Pinto Driver

Tenth year Anniversary Topic Starter Poll Voter Fifth year Anniversary Windows User
« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2014, 07:04:47 AM »
My hatchback door would fit, good shape red too and I live in NE Pa.

Offline tjm73

• Pinto Member
  • Another Pinto Driver

« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2014, 06:14:03 PM »
My hatchback door would fit, good shape red too and I live in NE Pa.

My car came with a nice hatch, but thanks for the offer.

I've got a mint drivers side quarter that I bought the whole car to get & an NOS rear bumper with the holes for the rubber strips. Depending on where you are I can bring them to you. I deliver to Eastern Hills mall in Buffalo & Greece & Marketplace malls in Rochester.

My car is a '73 so it only has the horizontal bumperettes. Was there another bumper style? Let's talk about the quarter & bumper. Please email me so we can talk privately. My email is in my profile page.

Offline Pinto5.0

• Pinto Master

Topic Starter Signature Poll Voter Mobile User Fifth year Anniversary Windows User 1000 Posts
« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2014, 07:39:43 AM »
I couldn't find your email so I sent you a PM with pics
'76 Wagon driver

Offline tjm73

• Pinto Member
  • Another Pinto Driver

« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2014, 09:28:09 AM »
I couldn't find your email so I sent you a PM with pics

Weird. When I click on my user name I see it right under my name. It's neither here nor there because I got your PM and replied.

Offline Pinto5.0

• Pinto Master

« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2014, 02:45:03 PM »
Weird. When I click on my user name I see it right under my name. It's neither here nor there because I got your PM and replied.

I clicked mine & mine was there so I'm guessing we can only see our own
'76 Wagon driver

Offline 74 PintoWagon

• Pinto Sr. Master
  • Another Pinto Driver

Topic Starter Signature Poll Voter Windows User 1000 Posts
« Reply #51 on: September 23, 2014, 04:02:38 PM »
If you want to send an e-mail just click on the envelope, PM on the right icon.
Art
65 Falcon 2DR 200 IL6 with C4.

Offline Pinto5.0

• Pinto Master

« Reply #52 on: September 23, 2014, 04:33:34 PM »
If you want to send an e-mail just click on the envelope, PM on the right icon.

Missed that

'76 Wagon driver

Offline Reeves1

• Pinto Master
  • BAWS302

Offline tjm73

• Pinto Member
  • Another Pinto Driver

« Reply #54 on: November 10, 2014, 10:20:19 PM »
Thanks for the heads up, but a fellow member hooked me up with a nice rear 1/4 just last Friday. As in entire rear corner of a car, wheel housing and all. In real nice shape too. Big thanks to Pinto5.0 for that.

Now I'm hunting for an inner taillight panel support, a plain rear bumper (no rub strip) and a rear bumper bracket for the driver side. I think I'll have all the needed sheet metal once I find these items.

Offline tjm73

• Pinto Member
  • Another Pinto Driver

« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2015, 10:37:06 PM »
So I've been looking for that taillight support panel everywhere I can think of and still nothing.

If anyone has one, or a line on where one might be or might be found, please let me know.

Hoping to begin some work this spring. For now my broken pony resides in my cold barn waiting to find out if she will become the "Six Million Dollar Pinto" (I can rebuild her. I have the technology) or if she will be put out to pasture and live on as a donor car.